Whilst increase automation is reducing reliance on humans this may, if not designed and managed appropriately, increase the risk of loss of attention. Driver/Pilot alertness is affected by many factors including the design of the task, work environment, rostering, fatigue, stimulation profile of the duty, distraction etc. This IMechE seminar will consider these issues, and what controls are currently available to mitigate the inherent risks and whether there are lessons to be learned between modes of transport or other operations.
Attend this event to:
- Gain insight into new approaches and technologies that can be used to understand, control and prevent accidents across the transport industry
- Stay up to date with the latest standards and regulation for ensuring driver and pilot alertness
Learn best practice in designing human-machine interfaces in autonomous vehicles from the automotive sector
- Share ideas with your peers about how to best integrate human factors into the design process through our interactive panel and round tables
- Network with human factors specialists, designers and engineers from the aerospace, railway and automotive industries
Seminar programme highlights:
- Tram Operations Limited discuss what driver monitor data is telling us from studies following the Croydon tram derailment
- The Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute (VTI) evaluate human performance with a key focus on driver and pilot attention
- Hear from the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB), Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) and AECOM as they share challenges across transportation sectors
- The University of Leeds and Institute for Transport Studies discuss the impact of automation and autonomous vehicle design
- The Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB) share case studies and discuss railway’s safety track record
Key speakers include:
- Honourable Robert L. Sumwalt, Chairman, National Transport Safety Board (NTSB)
- Jackie Townsend, Managing Director, Tram Operations, Tram Operations Limited
- David Davies, Executive Director, Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety (PACTS)
- Ann Mills, Head of Health and Safety, Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB)
- Simon French, Chief Inspector of Rail Accidents, Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB)
To register for this event, follow this link to the IMechE website.
Or if you wish to book multiple tickets multiple tickets (group discounts available) or on behalf of someone else Email IMechE.